Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How Do You Keep Up?

I ask myself this question as a Mom all the time - how can you possibly keep up with all the information out there in regards to motherhood, babies, products, classes, education, playgroups, social skills, language development, healthy eating - the list is never ending & overwhelming. My husband often rolls his eyes at me when I mention something from one of these categories - "People have been having kids for years & years & they figure it out - we will too"

Recently though, I have felt the pressure of motherhood in all things "safe" for my child. Like anyone with a kid, it seems you are always being bombarded with wanted and, more often, unwanted advice. Are we victims of the Internet & the access we have to endless amounts of information? I often think so... Don't get me wrong - it's great to have access to so much, but like anything, I believe moderation is key. For example - Google "sunscreen chemicals" & boy will you get a new education. Again, I appreciate that this information is available, but it all contributes to what I believe makes it harder to be a "good" mom these days. What bottles are you using? Are they made of plastic? What sippy cups? How are you washing them? You are using WHAT on your kid's skin? Non-organic wipes? Your kid eats sugar? Hydrogenated WHAT? Sunscreen is now dangerous? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I understand that we are lucky to have more research being done these days to discover causes of cancer, other diseases & disabilities, but damn if it isn't hard to keep up with everything. And when is it all truly too much? When is it fact and when is it "sort of" fact? Is some info more important than others? And my biggest question is, if these products are better & safer, then why do they cost so much damn money? (That is my same "beef" with healthy food, but I will save that for another rant) How do you "keep up" in this economy?

How do you keep up? Are you practicing the same things for yourself, or just your child? I'd love to hear & get some tips!

3 comments:

@sweetbabboo said...

This is a fantastic post, Kelly. I struggle with all these same thoughts and issues. I feel so overwhelmed with fears of screwing up even in my choice of sunscreen.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one trying to wrap my head around it all and still do the best I can.

Kelly Jernigan said...

Thanks Abby - glad to know I am not the only freaked out mother out there. I was feeling like my post might have sounded like a bit of a rant, but hopefully my true message got across :)

Suzi said...

I am in the crazy club too! At least we aren't alone, right?!