Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Gift of Sharing

Remember me? Yes - I used to blog here, but have recently been so busy with the daily life of having two children that I am never on here anymore. I still read all my favorite blogs, but it is usually from the dim light of my iPhone during a nightly feeding session with Bean that I am able to see what everyone is up to. Love the iPhone, but certainly not skilled enough to write blog posts from it, bleary eyed in the middle of the night while I breastfeed.

I've had plenty of good ideas for posts lately, and this morning when I was able to get the baby to nap, I thought I would come down to the computer & hammer one out with some of my free time. Please forgive me in advance for my typos.

My husband & I have been pondering lately what to get the Monkey for Christmas - he really has SO many toys, and after sorting through winter clothes the other day (which I have apparently been stockpiling), I came to the realization that he needs no clothing either. We have a few ideas, but the best one that we came up with so far was participating in Durham's 'Share Your Christmas' program. We have adopted a family for the holidays, and have planned to take Wyatt with us to shop for them, and then deliver our gifts in person. We felt like one of the best gifts we could give him, and ourselves, this season was to share what we can with others.

What prompted all of this really was the fact that our 10 week old little girl has been sleeping soundly through the night since about 8-9 weeks. We were convinced that we would be cursed by our second child because the first was such a good sleeper. Turns out that my breast milk must be part sleeping potion. At any rate, these nights of good sleep have made us want to thank the good Lord for how truly blessed we are in all that we have, and knowing that there are others out there struggling just made us want to share some of our good fortune.

I specifically wanted to find a family parented by a single mother - on my bad days I am constantly tipping my hat to the single mothers out there, wondering how they survive day-to-day. The family we found actually has two children the same age as our children, so we thought it was a great fit. I look forward to shopping with Wyatt & having him help pick out toys & gifts for the family, and then seeing what it is like to deliver the gifts to that family in a few weeks. I really hope to make this a yearly tradition.

Do you have any special holiday traditions that involve helping others? What are some new traditions you'd like to start with your kids this season?

2 comments:

Melissa {adventuroo} said...

What a sweet idea for Wyatt!

Two kids is inSANE isn't it? but it's also magical!

Williamson's said...

That is such a great idea! I did Share Your Christmas with DA and my students for 4 years and loved it-- it was SO much fun shopping for kids who you know otherwise wouldn't get anything.

That's a great thing to teach your kiddos: being fortunate!

Happy Thanksgiving!