Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Unfortunate Smashing of a Thumb

It all happened about 2 weeks ago, this new chaos in my life. Seth & I often pondered how we would get Wyatt to stop sucking his thumb one of these days. To be honest, it never really bothered either of us, and he's always been such a good self-soother we were going to let things stop on their own. Truth be told, I sucked my thumb until 4th grade people - I mean, not sitting in class at school, but definitely at night...with my blankie...that I still sleep with (another story in itself!)

Back to the story - we had been having some nap issues, but things were still going fairly smoothly. Then came the fateful night that Wyatt, his 'Pop' (grandpa) & Daddy were all in the basement looking at something. Daddy couldn't figure out why this one lever wouldn't close on this thing they were looking at, only to discover the reason being Wyatt's thumb - the precious thumb sucking thumb no doubt - was stuck in it!! Lots of tears & blood ensued, but after a Popsicle & a Band-Aid we were patched up & over it. That night, bath time was touch & go - Wyatt didn't want to get the thumb wet & cried when he tried to suck it, but we didn't think twice about it - it will heal in a day or two we said.

Fast forward two weeks later - the scab is gone, the thumb is healed. But, the thumb sucking is over - as in not. even. interested. at. all. That was easy, right? WRONG - Mommy is convinced that the lack of thumb sucking has ruined her daytime freedom. Nap time has now turned into rest time here, which is hardly quiet time (although we do stay in our bed).

How does a child go from napping up to 3 hours a day to suddenly not napping at all?? I am hoping it is a phase, but until proven wrong I stand by my theory that it is the thumb!

3 comments:

@sweetbabboo said...

Oh, I had no idea he was still doing it. I'm thrilled for you all that it is done with no undue stress. However, boo to the lack of naps.

We've been pondering a guard for Linus as we are worried it's affecting his teeth. (He's more than just a sleepy time sucker.)

Sadly, our band-aid on the thumb incident was too short-lived to have permanent results.

But, hey, you sucked yours until 4th grade, and you came out alright so -- maybe we'll just wait and see. After all, he's still taking an hour nap and I do NOT want to lose that. My sanity couldn't take it.

-Abby

Convertible Girl said...

Am inclined to believe your no-nap theory. Pippi (at 2.5) is still firmly in love love love with her pacie. I know she'll need braces one day, but I'm not willing to deal with the sleep loss and other battles.

Izzy said...

Hahaaa this is such an interesting cute post. Dont worry, i think its a phase. Hang in there! Update us his progress. =D