Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Routine Reminder

After almost 2 1/2 years of the same bedtime routine with Wyatt, there are evenings when my husband & I just go through the motions because we are all so used to what comes next. I remember hearing somewhere that whatever habits you begin for bedtime at 3 months will stick with your kid, so at 3 months we started giving a bath, putting on PJ's, reading a book, turning lights out, singing a song & going to bed. Of course with age, we have added in time now for brushing teeth & selecting books.

As Wyatt approaches the age of 3, bedtime seems to have gotten more & more fun (for us at least!). He knows his routine, and often reminds us of what will come next - "We're brushing our teeth, then getting our race car PJ's on Mama." Every now & then he makes us laugh with his book selection, throwing in comments like "I'll pick this one, it's not too long," when he knows it's a later bedtime than normal or "Are you sick of this one Mama?" when he senses I might be tired of reading one for the 25th time that week.

The best part though is how the routine changes with age. Now, we read Wyatt a book and he gets to have a turn "reading it back to us." Books are not simply just listened to, there is plenty of time allotted for questions & answers on any given page - "What's he saying?" "Where are they going?" We sing that same bedtime song that we have for 2 1/2 years - Baa, Baa Black Sheep & now Wyatt sings along.

Just in case you should forget part of the routine, don't worry about Wyatt reminding you. My father was here babysitting the other night without the help of my mother, which he would admit he often takes for granted. When we arrived home, he mentioned to us that in the midst of the bedtime routine, he had forgotten to brush Wyatt's teeth. I told him no worries, Wyatt probably didn't even notice. Fast forward to the next morning - I hear Wyatt get up, and after several minutes go into his room. The first thing he blurts out to me in a panic?

"Papa forgot to brush my teeth!!"

3 comments:

Suzi said...

Katie is the same way! Cracks me up.

Melissa (@adventuroo) said...

So cute-love how he ratted grandpa out! Noah knows our routine quite well too. I've never done a song but I may start!

jean Wharton said...

Wyatt ratted out Papa? You never rat on your friends Wy. Never. Now hush up little boy and I'll tell you some stories about your momma in college!