Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Must Love Dogs

My post is prompted by my recent return from the new movie 'Marley & Me.' I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying that it is a sweet & sad movie about the story of a dog's life, but also the family that owns him - I'll leave it at that. It got me thinking about my own dogs though, and how they have really taken the backseat in my life since Wyatt came along. I realized that not unlike a child, they simply would do anything to please.

Seth & I agreed, as sort of a New Year's Resolution (although I HATE those) to spend more time with the dogs, and try to incorporate them more into our lives. Milo, our beagle, will be 9 years old this May & although we often joke that he will live to be 18, blind, deaf & crippled, you never know how much time you will have with a family pet. Scout, our yellow lab, will turn 5 in just a few months, and it is hard to believe how time has really flown since he was a puppy. Just a few years ago we would spend our weekends taking the dogs on trips & searching the city for dog-friendly places for the boys to run leash-free. Now, it seems we debate over who will feed them each morning & evening, let them in after Wyatt has gone to bed & plenty of days go by where I wonder to myself if I had even pet them both. For this, I am not proud - but that is why we have decided to turn over a new leaf. That, and we have a new helper in their caretaking...

Lately I have been keeping the dogs inside in the mornings & letting them play with Wyatt in the den. It used to be that he paid them no attention, but recently he has really enjoyed petting them and "getting cozy" with them on their giant dog nest, ("Eeks!" says Dad - "it's SO dirty!!" "He's a kid", I say). The other morning I even caught him trying to get them to read a book with him - I didn't have the heart to tell him that they probably wouldn't join in, but at least he chose Clifford as his book to share with the dogs :)

Seeing this compassion, combined with my resolution, has made me realize that there will be a time when Seth & I won't be the only ones who really miss the dogs - can you remember your favorite childhood dog? I can think of a few...and I want to make sure that Wyatt looks back on all the fun times he shared with his family - dogs & all!

2 comments:

@sweetbabboo said...

Aw. I'm glad you have resolved to try to include them more. It is sad that pets have to take the backseat to kids but it is inevitable.

My favorite childhood dog was a party-colored cocker spaniel named Odie. He was such a sweet dog and was really truly missed when he passed away. He was such a loyal family member.

islandjeannie said...

I love your thoughts on the dogs. After seeing Marley & Me the day after Christmas with Mom, Dad & Tom (who apparently has not heart because he hated the movie and also hates Jennifer Aniston)...I went back to their house and rolled around the ground with the dogs of hours.

My favorite childhood dog was Duchess. I love to think about her running laps around the pool while we would be swimming and waiting by the side for us to get out or throw the ball for her. She never did work up the nerve to chase the ball into the water but she would dip her paws in trying to paddle the ball towards her. Watching Marley & Me really made me think of her and how sad it is when a dog dies. But on the positive side, there is really no relationship that is as sweet, easy, fun and happy as the one you have with your dog.

I'm thinking about getting a dog this summer, but I have to work it out with our landlord.

Love ya
Jean